Sunday, September 30, 2012

"Isn't My Name Magical?"

The poem "Isn't My Name Magical?" by James Berry made me realize that a name is not just a form of identity, but it is a natural form of awakening an inner soul.
Hearing your name being called sparks a sense of curiosity, as Berry suggests in his poem.

"My sound switches me on to answer like it was my human electricity"

This makes me think of class. When a teacher says my name while talking, I automatically look up and pay attention, even if he/she was just using me as an example.
I don't know if this is weird, but whenever a teacher says words like "remember" or "remind," my senses strengthen. The beginning of these words sound like the beginning of my name, and they get my attention EVERY time. 

A name is just a word, and it's unbelievable how one specific word can have so much meaning to one specific person.

No comments:

Post a Comment